Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What are the drawbacks of buying a projection HDTV?

Q. In the next few months I plan to buy myself a HDTV. I have been cruising different electronic stores looking for the right one. I want a pretty decent sized one. So I'm thinking about getting a projection HDTV which are relatively inexpensive compared to LCDs and Plasmas of the same size. So I was wondering are there any drawbacks to projection HDTV?

A. Rear projection TVs have several disadvantages relative to flatscreens, including:

- The lamps must be replaced every few thousand hours, and they are expensive (~$300).
- They are bulkier (mainly thicker) than flatscreens (although some of the newer ones are not much thicker than the base on a flatscreen.)
- They usually have a lower angle of view than flatscreens (you can't sit as far off centre).
- picture quality isn't as good as the best flatscreens.
- They are more likely to look washed out in a bright room.

On the other hand, they are cheaper and still can give a good picture.

You might want to consider a front projector though. They have some of the same disadvantage as rear projectors (lamps need replacement, work best in dim/low ambient light room), but are the best way by far to get a cinema-like experience of a really big picture (8-10 feet). They can take up less space than other types of big screen HDTVs, and They are about the same price as a 720p or 1080p HDTV half the size. See projectorcentral.com for further info.


Can you tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz HDTVs?
Q. I'm looking to buy a new TV, around 40" 1080p for gaming, movies, and sports. It seems you can't buy a 120hz LCD HDTV for under $800 but is it really worth it?

Also, do you notice the difference much between the generic brands and higher end brands?

Thanks in advance to those giving good advice!

A. I believe you will see a big difference between 60 and 120 Hz on a 40" TV. Fast action, like sports, will look more fluid and smooth with a higher refresh rate.

No disrespect intended to Jason, but I think you're better off with a name-brand TV. I run a technical training facility. I have 3 32" LCD TVs with 60 Hz refresh rates side-by-side - Sony, Phillips, and Insignia. The Insignia looks great by itself, but turn on the Sony and Phillips, and the Insignia obviously has a lower picture quality than the others.

When you're in the store looking at TVs, bear in mind that they adjust picture elements to make the picture look the best it can in that environment. Ask the salesperson to adjust the picture back to factory default for each set you are considering. Then you can compare apples to apples. (The picture will be somewhat dull under the lighting in the store. It will look brighter in your living room.)


What is a good color to paint a room if the furniture and bed sheets are black?
Q. Ok, here's the deal. I'm moving into my brother's house...into a room that's not really small, but it's not big either. The whole room is white and I don't want to paint the ceiling, just the walls. I want to leave the trim in the room white. There is a giant window in the room that covers the entire wall opposite from the door. It also has a closet big enough to stand in. Here's the problem...I'm a big fan of anything black. Obviously making everything black isn't a good idea. I have a big screen HDTV that will be wall mounted that is black also. I have two floor speakers that are dark grey. My dresser is a medium brown color. I am going to buy a black sheet set because I really want black sheets. I would also like to hang stuff on the walls so they aren't bare either. I've narrowed down my idea to making the accessories black, but not sure what to paint the walls to contrast the blackness of everything else. I don't want anything too bright and girly either. Any ideas?

A. 1] maybe you could find a quilt/spread/duvet in a black, white, and bright - red, yellow, green, blue, or purple - color print [ geometric or stripe, maybe ]The sheets will be under the spread, so won't matter that much.
2] paint the walls the bright color, and add throw pillows in the bright for bed and chair
3] frame all art in similar color and material - oak/walnut, brass/chrome, colored enamel
4] add some accessories in the bright, and maybe the black
[ iron candlesticks? ] or chrome [ lamps? ] - vase, ornaments, flowerpots, candles





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment