Monday, February 10, 2014

Sitting 14 feet away from a 32 inch LCD HDTV?




Singh


I was planning on getting a 32 inch LCD HDTV but I read from amazing that I shouldn't be sitting more than 8 feet away in that case. Will there be a noticeable difference if I sit 14 feet away?


Answer
Its just like any other TV you may have owned or used in your lifetime. There is going to be a sweet spot in viewing distance. If you sit to close it might hurt your eyes. If you sit too far back you might lose a bit of the details on the screen. That's about it.

32" would have an optimal viewing distance more in the 4-6 feet kind of range. So in watching it from 14 feet away, you likely will not see some of the finer details in the programming you watch. But that doesn't mean you still won't see and enjoy the programming. I think the biggest impact it might have is for sports and trying to follow a small object (puck, golf ball, etc.). But most news and like drama or comedy TV shows should be fine. Even movies off of BluRay or such would be fine, they just won't be "optimal" (but optimal is a subjective thing anyway).

You didn't mention why you're going at 32" though? Are you looking at that size cause of budget or cause of restrictions of how physically big the TV can be in the spot you're putting it. If its physical size and you're stuck, well not much you can do. If its budget, I would honestly consider a 42" 720p Plasma. You can pick up one of those without going a lot higher than a good 32" would cost you.

A good quality 32" set is likely going to float you in around $400, maybe a bit less. A 42" Plasma from ABC Warehouse can be had for $539 (I'd recommend the Panasonic one). Right now there are 3 42" 720p Plasmas on sale at ABC Warehouse for $539. So yes it is definitely more than a 32" set, but 42" isn't completely unattainable I would think. And 720p is all you need at 42", especially at 14 feet back. If you can manage that, I think it would give you a bit better result.

720 vs 1080 on a 32 inch Sony hdtv?




twtexas17


I am planning on buying a new Sony HDTV, but undecided on whether to get a 720 or 1080 resolution. I want to get a 32 inch because its the right size for my bedroom. I understand that the two resolutions represent the number of horizontal lines on the screen and that in tvs smaller than 40 inch will not show a huge difference, but I want to make sure I choose the right one based on my TV habits.

I don't watch TV as much any more but I do watch a lot of movies, plus I plan on hooking my tablet and computer up to the TV as a monitor. Also, I have direct TV but no HD channels and will not be upgrading to HD any time soon. Lastly, I do have two game consoles, PS2 and Wii, that I occasinally play, but these two are definitely not the new models that are currently out. So which is best, 720 or 1080, for a casual TV watching, old school video game playing girl who likes watching movies?



Answer
Look up the actual model numbers on the Sony website and see the tech specs, if the "720" model is actually a 1280x720 panel it is OK, not great, but acceptable. However if it is a common 1366x768 panel go for the 1080 instead because at least that way Blu-ray and 1080i and p will be native, with a 768 set the only thing that won't be scaled to match the screen's resolution is a computer hooked up to it set for 1366x768, all video no matter what the source be it Blu-ray, OTA TV, Etc. will all have to be scaled, and scaling an image always reduces the quality some.

I got a Vizio M260MV instead of the M260VA for this very reason, the VA is 768 and my MV is 1080.

Also there is no minimum size for 1080 to make a difference, there is however a maximum viewing distance.

For 1080 and average 20/20 vision you are supposed to be no farther than 2x the diagonal size away from the screen, and preferably 1.5x away. For a 32" this means sitting between about 48" (4") and 64" (5' 4") away from the screen.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment