Sunday, May 4, 2014

Is there anyone else besides me that dislikes HDTV picture quality?




burdenofdr


I have seen a lot of HDTVs â in stores and in homes, one that were supposedly good, ones that were supposedly mediocre â and in various conditions â dark room, lit room, from up close, from far away, watching stuff made for HD and stuff not made for HD â and, though I admit there is a crispness to the image, it also always looks pixely to me somehow â or something. And I don't just mean when the signal messes up. All the time. I seem to especially notice this when there is a big block of one color on the screen, like a shadowed area. I notice morphing boxy shapes in the color. Also, something seems overly harsh about the image â not the comfortably soft glow around the edges that you get on regular television. I know I'm in a minority. If I google things like "I love HDTV" or "I like HDTV" i can get thousands of hits, but if I google "I dislike HDTV" or "I hate HDTV" I'm getting maybe a few dozen relevant hits. Does anybody else here feel this way but me?


Answer
Is there anyone else besides me that dislikes HDTV picture quality?

No, and here is the reason. Think back to when dvds first came out the quality was all over the place with the encoding for the dvd, ie. some companies merely dumped a lossy ntsc vid on dvd or didn't spend the time to properly encode the source for the new format. so what you had at first didnt really look much better.

Also remember that not all HD channels air 1080i/1080p/720p all day long, most at the moment will only air the premium grade stuff during prime time.

As for the pixelation your seeing with the new tvs thats more do with the programming and compression ratio. Heavily compressed Dvds and digital cable/sat channels also suffer from that problem. The companies are trying to package more in to whats available. here is another quick example, one hdtv ota channel can be used to transmit four standard definition digital tv channels or one hdtv.


Some of the color issues you probably having are probably from the style of the tv. projection screen HDTV needs to be viewed away from direct sunlight to get the best experience. LCD you have to worry viewing the tv from an angle not directly in front. DLP tvs seem to have the best and most consistent picture.

Keep in mind what source is connected when your checking out HDTVs as the soruces could be: Dvd, cable/sat, analog, or Over the air (OTA) HD.

HDTV picture quality?




Gap Face


I got an HDTV a while ago and my friends and I cant tell the difference from my 32" HDTV from my friends 23" SDTV. My HDTV settings are at standard because I dont really no how to make the picture better by custom picture quality. Most people say that should be fine but some tell me I should change it. Also some people say that I should turn down the sharpness all the way down but what should I do for the contrast brightness and color? This HD DVD player is the only HD thing I got besides my cable box and that looks normal to. My HDTV is the samsung LN-S3251D which Cnet said was the best 32" LCD HDTV last year. So what should I do with the settings? My HDTVs native resolution is 720p and the movies I buy have good Picture quality from what highdef digest says. So what should I do?
yes I am watching HD DVDs and also HD channels from comcast



Answer
Forget the picture settings...To get an HD picture you must have the signal coming from your devices connected by HDMI OR COMPONENT inputs to the TV set first.

Then your devices must be set to 720P in the video output part of the device's menu.

Then the SOURCE of the actual signal must be an HD signal
Your cable box must be tuned to an HD station and the SHOW must have the HD box showing up on the Guide....

As for the HD DVD player, you must have an HD-DVD disc for HD, and it CAN'T be an old movie converted to HD usage.

All these hoops you must jump thru....sheesh !

But....I PREFER to test HD setup by going to Discovery Channel's HD Theater station...they are the best HD signal to test with...
Especially the commercials...like the one with the ANTs crawling around or the mountains in them.
There you will see the DETAIL of the small critters and plants.

And it's a quick and easy test for your TV and the Cable signal.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment