Monday, May 6, 2013

How do I centrally connect my home cable wiring to a central antenna?

Q. My house is wired for Verizon FiOS television and internet. I would like to continue using Verizon FiOS for my internet service, although I would like to install an HDTV antenna within my attic to feed OTA HDTV into the rest of my house. I'm hoping to isolate the Verizon FiOS signal to one coaxial, which would feed into my wireless router for sharing the signal with the rest of the house.

How may I locate where the Verizon FiOS signal is being fed into my house?

I presume I will need a splitter and amplifier to share the HDTV antenna's signal throughout my house. Any visual walk-throughs or guides that you are aware of would be helpful. I have a basic understanding of electronics, such as setting up a 7.2 home theater, although I am ignorant when it comes to wiring my house.

A. I'm not in the US so don't know much about the Verizon FiOS, if this is a coaxial to a set top box it probably uses a 50 ohm cable. your antenna will be 75 ohm so don't join the two.

To send the signal around your home you will need a splitter but an amplifier may not be required depending on how many points you have and the distance the cables need to be. More than three and more than about 30 mtrs I would put in an amplifier.

use F type connections, they are longer lasting, your local store will know what they are and remember you will need 75 ohm cable.


Will I be able to receive HD broadcasts using indoor antenna?
Q. This question is not about the upcoming digital transition.

I have an HDTV with built-in tuner. I've heard that watching HDTV over an antenna can actually be a better picture, because they don't compress the signal like cable or satellite do.

Most of the major networks broadcast from a cluster of broadcast stations about 25 - 30 miles away. If I have a portable indoor antenna, do you think I'll be able to pick up most of those stations?
RT - since you are broadcast engineer, is what I heard true? Are HD broadcasts better then HD from cable or satellite?

A. If you can use an indoor antenna will depend on how strong the signals are at your house. 25-30 miles is asking a lot from an indoor antenna, but it's worth a try. If it's not reliable or you are missing channels, you will need to go to a better (probably outdoor) antenna.

EDIT: Yes, they are noticeably better looking. Cable and satellite do indeed compress the video to make room for more channels. I compare our local stations off air to satellite and I can easily see the difference at home. So can my whole family.


What is the strongest indoor antenna out there for digital?
Q. We live like 30-40 miles away from any of the towers. The indoor antenna we have now worked great for the digital stations until they fully broadcasted in digital only, now we might need a stronger antenna, we live in an apartment and cant mount an outdoor antenna, and the one we have now is a digital amplified one.

A. My home made antenna works better than any store bought antennas I ever tried and cost me less than $5.oo to build.

This is my story;
Before you buy a antenna for your new HDTV or converter box, try hooking up your old analog TV antenna. If your digital signal is weak and you have a lot of drop outs. You may want to build your own antenna like I did. I have tried all sorts of commercial store bought antennas and must say my home made antenna beats the pants off of all of them.

Go to my MSN blog to get all the info you'll need to build your own antenna.

http://hthut.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2243ABF263B6C3B5!209.entry

hyghwayman





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

2 comments:

  1. Jade Communications did a great job with the wiring in our home. They were terrific and very professional. Nice guys, very trustworthy, and a great recommendation for anyone in Boca Raton. Check them out at http://www.jade-com.com/.



    ReplyDelete