Sunday, May 5, 2013

Is there any reason for me to get a 1080p HDTV?

Q. I don't have BluRay, I don't have cable (our local cable company doesn't even do 1080p) and I don't have satellite.

BluRay - I may get one a few years from now but right now I don't have any interest in the movies that come out. I don't even have a standard DVD collection.

Cable - I'm done with cable. You know the joke about there being 1000 channels and nothing on? It's a reality as far as I'm concerned.

Satellite - No offense to satellite owners but I don't dig the interference problems that satellite has. A neighbor tried convincing me that it's gotten better over time but it's still a no for me.

A. a lot of over the air broadcasts are send in 1080i and 720p HD formats now adays so you will get better picture quality with HD if the screen size is less than 45 inches you probably can get away with a 720P HDTV without much loss of quality; if your TV is larger than 45 inches I would highly recommend 1080P even if the signal is only 720P the 1080P HDTV will up-convert the picture to 1080P giving you a better picture most of the time....


what is a good HDTV to buy that is within a reasonable price?
Q. i want 1080p, but do not want to spend over 1000$ on it...what should i do?

A. It really just depends how big you want the TV and if you would prefer LCD or Plasma. What you're going to use the TV for will help for what to choose too. I would recommend Plasma because it just looks overall better than LCD.

Plasma will be a sharper, brighter, nicer image compared to LCD but, has burn-in-image and will not last as long as an LCD. There will be more selections of 1080p TVs in the LCD format too, though you will find 1080p in Plasma TVs.

Top three brands to go for would be Sony, Samsung or Panasonic.

The price would vary mostly because of TV sizes and the screen type though. Samsung and Panasonic will be more along the same lines for pricing so I would focus more on the capabilities between those two brands, if you go with any of those three that is.

Other decent brands, which will be a little to a lot cheaper than the previous three I said before would be Sharp, LG and Toshiba. Those would be the cheaper brands I would recommend getting.

But when it comes to HDTVs, I would really recommend spending the extra buck and buy one of the first three brands that I mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps you out!


What should I look for in a HDTV that can be used as a monitor for gaming?
Q. I'm thinking that a minimum of a contrast ratio of 1000:1 and a resolution of 1080 should do? I don't know about the other aspects, so please define how much I need (of such as sound and brightness). even better list a web site(s) that defines everything.

A. I have a 37 inch LCD from an off brand that I’m in love with. I mainly use it for my 360 and sometimes hook up my PC as well. The first thing is to define your budget. Then, measure the room-I had a friend who bought an HDTV too big....you had to sit so close it didn’t look all that great. Next look at all the connections you may need (HDMI for PS3, various for 360, etc.) and take notes. Finally, figure out what you may want to add in the future and try to allow for that.

A higher contrast ratio is better, as is the ability to display 1080p. Usualy LCD is better than Plasma, which is better than DLP, but it depends on the TV. I’d recommend going to the cnet link below for more specific help.

http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-world/

When you’ve read up on it, go in to a real store (I prefer BestBuy) and talk to a salesperson. Take notes and ask for handout literature (brochures, etc). Do additional research with google etc. to see if you can find an angle. That’s what I did: my ’off brand’ was a company that makes Sony HDTVs just starting to market their own brand, so I got quite the deal.

One last thing: If possible, buy from CostCo, because if you find that there is a problem (it just doesn’t work for you) they have a VERY forgiving return policy.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment