Monday, May 27, 2013

If you buy a HDTV, can you receive any channels free or do you have to subscribe to a provider?

Q. I am thinking about purchasing a HDTV. However, I am unclear whether this means I need to get cable or satellite in order to receive any channels at all. Will the regular broadcast channels like FOX, CBS, etc. still come through like they do on standard analog TV? Or is there a cheap alternate solution I can purchase with a HDTV to make that work without subscribing to cable? Thanks for any suggestions.

A. Collie,

You don't need cable. We are proof of a family living without any cable TV.

We bought our HDTV late last year and we surprised to see all the additional channels we get. (of course, we are in Chicago, so there are many options.) I'm guessing that if you live in an larger metropolitan area, you will be surprised as well. Our PBS station has 4 channels (not just the standard one), NBC and ABC have 24-hour weather channels. The variety may surprise you.

Try going to Yahoo TV (http://tv.yahoo.com/) and look up schedules and enter your zip code. You can choose broadcast and see all the channels available.

Hope that helps.


What Is the Difference Between a 1080p and 1080i HDTV?
Q. TheGeekyStore.com is looking for the smartest geeks on yahoo! Answers. The best answer will get the points.

A. Besides the technical answer, here's another difference: there are 1080p TVs everywhere, but next to no "1080i" TVs other than very early HD models. A modern 1080p set doesn't care about the resolution of the incoming signal; it can handle anything: 480i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, dynamic, whatever.


What are the best free investment discussion boards?
Q. I have looked at mutual fund sites on Yahoo but the posts are old and outdated. I'm thinking asian funds. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A. Hi Bee27

I suggest you to Fatwallet, but you may have to sign up at FatWallet to view it. It's free, but don't spend all your money in the Hot Deals section.

BTW, here are some ways I've benefited from there:
I've financed my house with the lowest interest rate in the country at the time
Paid for a HDTV with 0% interest credit card
Put most of my car payments on a 0% interest credit card
Learned many things about spending and saving, etc that I'm too tired to think of tonight.

Have a look: fatwallet.com/forums/

Regards
-- Eric
http://forexsoho.com/





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment