Wednesday, June 5, 2013

How can I convert a TV antenna signal into something my DVR can read?

Q. I want to be able to record OTA HDTV on my DVR (AT&T u-verse), but just plugging my antenna's coaxial into the DVR doesn't work. How can I convert the antenna signal (UHF/VHF?) into something readable by the DVR? Is it possible? I know Tivo can do it, but I want to keep my current DVR.

A. Your DVR needs to have an ATSC Tuner. Check if they have a special antenna Input.
If not, you need a set-top box or a converter box with an ATSC Tuner and output compatible with whatever your set-top accepts.

Curious though, U-verse offers 4 programs simultaneously, why do you need to use it to record off-the-air?


What is the best (and cheapest) way to build my own computer to be an HDTV DVR for my home theater?
Q. I want to be able to record as much over the air HDTV programming on a computer to use as my DVR. Most of the TV shows I watch are on network TV and I don't want to pay the extra bucks to upgrade my satellito to HD programming. Converting to HD programming via Satellite or Cable is too costly when I all the shows I like are free in the first place.

A. You can build a 2005 Media Center Edition Computer. Graphics Card and CPU don't need to be the best. A Pentium 4 3.0GHz with hyperthreading is enough power. An ATI 9800Pro graphics card is big enough. You don't need to spend alot on these to watch HDTV. You buy the software (OEM) 2005 Windows Media Center Edition. You would also need a tv tuner card, ATI 550 Theatrix Pro and the HDTV tuner, ATI HDTV Wonder. Western Digital makes large harddrives 320GB to 500GB. You might also want to buy an Audio/Video Receiver with optical inputs for sound.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EN6GP6/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-0560632-4144067

You can record all HDTV programing with an electronic TV guide such as the Titan TV Media Center program.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.ca/prices.aspx?itemId=193887&stext=


What is the cheapest way to dave DirectTV,any type of DSL or High speed internet ?
Q. I have all including a home phone which I do not use.All I want is DirectTV and the internet, TV's do have HDTV and a DVR also.
Qwest is my provider right now.
I dont use the home phone at all!Do I need it?

A. I have qwest, directv, and DSL too. I just had my land line switched to tmobile@home, though. If you do that, just make sure you call qwest so they don't turn off your DSL too (and Direct if those are bundled). I didn't call and lost my dsl for a week. They can be so stupid!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment