Tuesday, June 4, 2013

What is the best HD TV to go for right now?

Q. Anyone know of a good 42 to 52" inch high definition TV to buy? I'm looking to spend 1 to 2 thousand, in that ballpark range.

Please try to cite reasons for going with what you suggest. I'd really appreciate some kind of list of features or a set of good reasons for choosing one product over another.

A. Panasonic's 'High-end' V10 series Plasma TV's!

The V10 series is currently the top rated HDTV in the world right now...which it recently took over from Pioneer! Super high contrast ratios(40,000:1 native and infinite black levels) along with near instant response time(.001ms) and super fast refresh rates(600hz) make Plasma's best for fast motion content like sports, movies & gaming! Outstanding motion sharpness!

Cnet.com's top rated HDTV's: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/?tag=leftColumnArea1.0


How long is the power cord for the Toshiba REGZA Cinema Series 42XV545U HDTV?
Q. I want to see what options I will have for placement.

A. Although this is a brand new LCD without many if any specific public reviews, I went for the Toshiba for a number of reasons including perceived product reliability, feature set and value for money. I actively compared the Sony 40Z4100 and Samsung LNT750 which have both been on the market for several months, are highly rated to the Toshiba 46 (not 42) inch Regza XV545U. At the end of the day the Toshiba had it all even though I read some comments about lower contrast on other models I can tell you that I perceive no real issues even though the unit is installed in a very dark room. I have not calibrated the set but DVDs look great in cinema mode, even VCR tapes are acceptable. The SRT seems to be a real bonus and I will NOT buy a Blu-Ray player as a result. Set-up was extremely easy and I was able to do it all by my lonesome, essentially plug and play into a full A/V system, the remote is programmable for all my gizmos from a B&K AVR through Sony DvD and SAT box. You get the added bennies of 5:5 pull down and 120 hz. DVDs really look goood with no judder that I could tell. One gripe: the remote does not have an illumination button which would be nice in a dark environment. I ruled out the Sony because of some bad personal Sony product experiences including TVs. Although I always liked what I consider a very natural Sony picture image I've read about some backlighting and clouding issues on the LCDs and you pay the Sony premium price. As for the Samsung, I did not want a glossy screen due to too much glare and what i can only say are horror stories I read about customer service same with Sony (hopefully not with Toshiba).

I got the set from JandR. They were very accomodating and very communicative throughout the order process. They delayed my shipment at my request and held as well as improved the price up to the time of shipment. The box shipped UPS and arrived without damage on the day promised with some added packaging inside. I would definitely buy again from them.


Seniors I'm thinking of buying a new TV. What brands do you think are good and what sizes?
Q. LED, HDTV not sure what this means? Some ideas please!

A. I suggest that you look at flat panel televisions that are high definition (HDTV); Sandy Sue. There are many brands and 3 types of flat screens to choose from; Plasma screens, LED, or LCD.

Most of the brands of HDTV flat screens will work well; so shop around for price. Do a little research online; and then go into a store and check out the brands that interest you. Look at the tv straight on and from the side, to see which picture looks best. Compare the colors and clearness of the pictures.

The size of the screen will depend on the size of the room where the tv will be placed. We have two tvs, one has a 42 inch screen and one has a 48 inch screen; the rooms are about 10x14 feet. We could have gone with bigger screens, but honestly, these screens are more than big enough. If your rooms are smaller, then you could get a smaller screen.

Our 42 inch flat panel screen HDTV is an LED screen, Samsung. The picture is clear and sharp and the color is good. We can view it from the side without a problem. The screen burnt out after 2 years, and we were able to replace it, but it cost a pretty penny. The tv is now 6 years old and works like a champ.

We've had our 48 inch flat panel screen HDTV for about 18 months; it is an LCD screen and is the LG brand. I love this tv, it does use less energy and doesn't get as hot as any of our other televisions. The picture is great and we have not had any problems with it at all.

Just look for a picture that you like, a size that you like, a price that you can afford, and check reviews of the tv you are considering. I know that the choices are dizzying. We did a bit of research, went to the stores more than once, picked the televisions we liked the best, and then waited for them to go on sale.

Good luck!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment