Wednesday, June 5, 2013

How do I get my built-in freeview to work on my samsung hdtv?

Q. I have a Samsung LE40A656, and I cannot, for the life of me, work out how to get the DTV to work. It may just be the case that the wiring is wrong. When I scan for channels it finds 70 channels but 0 services and then says something along the lines of "check your ariel cable" (which I have). So if anyone who owns a Samsung HDTV with Freeview built-in, would be willing to give advice, I would be more than grateful.

A. 70 channels but ZERO services ??

Man....sounds like you need a SPECIAL CARD to unlock those services doesn't it ?

Check with your salesman first. He might know about it.
If not, call Samsung and they will walk you thru the procedure.

As far as I can see, and from what you told me

YOU PROBABLY have it set for CABLE and NOT AIR reception !

Consult your manual....about autoprogramming your TV.


So has blu ray basically won the format war?
Q. With Warner's annoucement on Friday- Blu ray will have 70% of the market. What will happen to HD DVD? Will it turn into what Beta is now- something only creepy old guys who never leave their apartment use?

A. I don't like the idea of Blu-ray "winning" (the misleading advertizing and arrogance associated with Blu-ray turned me off relative to the relative integrity of the HD DVD campaign) but it is in the interest of (almost) everyone that there be one format for HD disks.

I suspect that other studios will fairly quickly drop HD DVD and convert to Blu-ray if not already doing so.

The issues in my view are not whether Blu-ray will be "THE" HD disk format (it clearly will) -- but what will happen with prices, what comes after Blu-ray and will any of it replace DVD (or simply coexist.

It has been assumed that Blu-ray manufacturers have been losing a bundle on promoting Blu-ray. Will they raise prices on hardware? Drop incentive programs like free disks with new players? Raise prices on disks?

As consumers we have a lot to thank the HD DVD camp for in terms of low costs ... but without competition recouping losses may be a temptation.

Also where to from here. Have you noted that Sony HDTVs are building in xvYCC colour space and 10 bit colour support ... while initially it will probably be video games that utilize this extra capability a replacement for Blu-ray (or extension of the standard) isn't far away (8 bit colour and BT709 colour space are standard for Blu-ray). This may be a "simple" extension of Blu-ray technology, but you can be sure Sony have plans to take advantage of the capability they are building into their hardware (assuming content is produced to support it).

Finally, only 38% of US households are predicted to have HDTVs by the end of 2008. And only a fraction of these will allow the benefits fo Blu-ray to be realized (most are 720p models well under 40", and many don't have HDMI connectivity). A majority of even those with HDTVs are expected to resist the premium prices for HD disks. so the likelihood of Blu-ray disks replacing DVD before HD download and VOD services are a viable mainstream alternative to HD disks, or video holographic disks (or other technology) arrives, appears unlikely. In other words Blu-ray is likley to remain a niche format with DVD as the primary disk media for a long time to come.


Does the brand of hdmi cable really really matter,is it all hype?
Q. I just purchased a 42 in. LG plasma and now I have to make the quality better. The monster cables are about 70 bucks on amazon with free shipping but I just read somwhere that newegg has hdmi cables for 30 bucks with shipping. Some reviews for the monster cable say that there is too much hype about them.

Does the brand matter? I know that there is a dfference in the way it is made for durability but does this mean that the cheaper version would get damaged within a year or something?

Also, after I get this cable will I need to have a specific cable box? I already have a digital cable box. And before I get HDMI which I know is the cable to provide the highest quality, is there another way I can get high quality with cables I may already have?

Thanks!

A. Yes, there is another way.. component cables, and yes, you must upgrade your cable box for hdtv. Digital alone does not cut it.
I was concerned with this myself and read many reviews that all say Monster cables are a overpriced rip-off. That the lower priced cables are just fine. It turned out I didn't have choice as when I upgraded my Optimum cable box for hdtv it doesn't even have an hdmi output. When I complained to Optimum they said hdmi wasn't necessary. Without any choice I used the component cables (supplied by Optimum) and have a beautiful picture. I have no way of knowing if it would be better with hdmi but I am certainly not at all disappointed with the picture quality the way it is. I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40S2010 tv. Not sure why you think you have to "make the quality better, but I suggest you try it first with component cables and then, if you are not satisfied, get the lower priced hdmi cables through the Internet.
Please note that you must exchange your cable box for an hdtv capable cable box. Could this explain your problem regarding making the quality better?
Hope this helps!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment