Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What kind of HDTV is the best for gaming?

Q. I am curious as to what kind of HDTV (Plasma, LCD, DLP) is the best for gaming. Of the TV's I've played on, most of them have a noticeable response time (time from button press to action happening on screen). This really limits how well an FPS can be played.

To this point i've stuck with playing my 360 on my computer monitor, but really want to get an HDTV. Are there any TV's out there that have great response times?

A. CRT's probably are the fastest in terms of response time, but they lack true High Definition which most gamers like. From my use of all 3 technologies, LCD, Plasma and DLP, the fastest response times still come from a Plasma television. The newer LCD's are catching up, but Plasma still beats them IMHO. If you want, you can check out some review articles on Plasma vs. LCD at the website I refer to below. I have bought a Plasma based on their reviews myself.


What kinds of HDTVs are compatible with a desktop computer?
Q. I am window shopping for new TVs and was just wondering if I could just use a $200 29 inch HDTV for a computer instead of an $80 LCD monitor. I use the Internet more than my television and would prefer watching TV shows through Hulu, Netflix, etc. I would not mind getting both but I am just trying to save money for the long run. What would you suggest?

A. Nearly all modern HDTVs can support being a PC display. The ones that are native 1080p are best.

If your computer is VGA only, you need to make sure your choice of TV has a VGA in, otherwise you need to upgrade graphics to a DVi/HDMI capable adapter, or get a VGA to HDMI converter box.
If it has DVI, you can use a DVI to HDMI, on a TV with HDMI, but no VGA.


Do you need an HDTV cable service in addition to a HDTV to get things in high-definition?
Q. I mean.. For example.

I go out an buy an HDTV. Could I just plug my cable wire in, set it up etc, and watch TV stations that are in HD(sports on FOX, ESPN, etc.) -- or do I need to get some kind of HDTV package or box from my cable company?

A. It's possible, depending on your cable company's system.

I know on mine, Comcast, the HD channels are in the 700 - 800 block of channels, and you need a cable box to get there.

Again, depending on your cable company, you may need to pay extra, or not. Comcast used to charge an extra $5 a month for HD, but apparently don't any longer because it's not on my bill and my sister in law just got an HDTV and her cable box provided the HD channels to her just fine without any additional set up.

You can always hook up your TV to an external antenna and pull free HDTV from the thin air. Of course, that depends on where you live too.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment