Saturday, April 13, 2013

What computer video card do i need to run 3D on Samsung 3D HDTV 240hz?

Q. I am getting a new 55" Samsung 3D HDTV 240hz 1080p LCD-LED television very soon.

My question is what video card for my computer am I going to need to run 3D games on that TV?

The video card I am using now is a ATI Radeon HD 4850
The price needs to be within $100-$400 USD

A. Details that would help would be what operating system that you plan to run. And what other specs you have for the system that you plan on using. I see that you are currently using an ATI card, so I would assume that you would want to have an ATI replacement card. I will also assume that you have enough room around your PCI slot to fit a dual slot card. Also power supply specs come in to play as well, especially where graphics are concerned. You want 600watt supply at the bare minimum. I would strongly suggest over 800watts and above to give you room to grow later.

Now you say you plan on running 3D games. That kinda narrows your list of possible choices to the more expensive end of the spectrum. Being able to play them and being able to play them well are two different things as I'm sure you know :P.

Requirements for HD3D Be sure to check that your TV is supported on this list. Also listed are the graphics cards that I recommended below. Go for the best that you can afford.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/Pages/supported-hardware.aspx

An important note from that list is that you will also have to get additional hardware. (3D glasses and such). I couldn't find any on AMD's website. Researching further into it, it appears that AMD delegates the task of 3D hardware sourcing and compatibility to third party manufacturers. The other options force you to purchase a specific monitor and glasses.

Choices:

Radeon HD 5970 (Hemlock) 2GB $499
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102887
A bit over your price range, but well worth it. Fastest card out at the moment

Then right beneath that you have the Radeon HD 5870

Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB $369
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102888

I chose that specific 5870 because of the memory. It's a 2GB card, beware of the prices there. Make sure that you are paying for the memory and not for an over clocked GPU on a 1GB card. Don't settle for less than 2GB. And don't pay for an overclocked card, any overclock that you would get is marginal and could be done for free yourself if you so choose.

Comparison chart of the two so you can see the differences and decide for yourself:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/162?vs=165

To stay in your price range, you would want to stay with the 5870 though.

Now with all this said... I must mention that standard refresh rate for 3D is currently 120Hz and not 240Hz.
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv/120hz-240hz-60hz.html -- Some reading on the subject.

Overall, I'd say those two cards are your choices. And congrats on the new TV. But stick with the 2D games for now, as for 3D technology, ATI doesn't seem to be on the ball.


What is the best brand and deal on an hdtv 1080p?
Q. I'm looking to score a good deal on a smaller (32''-37'') hdtv lcd 1080p 60hz tv right now. Anyone seen any good deals for the holidays? Overall recommendations?

A. If you want a good deal on 1080p LCD, check out the Vizio's at Target.


Can I use a 1080p lcd hdtv as a pc monitor picture-quality wise?
Q. I know that I can plug it in. But what about using say a 40" 1080p lcd hdtv as a montitor? Would it look as crisp as the 24" viewsonic I have now? Should I stick with lcd's that are MADE to be pc monitors?
Thanks!

A. I use my 52" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV as a computer monitor. It's connected to my computer using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, displaying 1080p HIgh Definition (1920x1080 resolution). And it looks fabulous. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/armchairaviator/computer/IMG_0880c.jpg

The text is razor-sharp, the graphics clear and vivid. I can't be happier with the result.

A lot depends on the quality of the TV set. An upper-end set like a Sony Bravia or Sharp Aquos will look nice. Lower-end sets might not look as nice.

Hope this helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment