Friday, April 12, 2013

Whats the difference between a warranty and a service plan?

Q. What is the difference? I have a 2 year service plan on my hdtv and a 1 year warranty on my laptop. Are they the same or ...

A. a warranty is usually offered by the manufacturer (varies by law) that the product is free from defects as made. if not it will repair or replace at the manufacturers option.

a service plan is usually offered by the seller, and is a pre-paid plan that covers both failures and routine maintenance requirements. service plans sometimes cover user induced damage as well if they are "no-fault". since the seller is not likely to have a service department, they are more likely to offer a replacement.

since both cover failures, most people opt for a service plan after the manfacturers warranty period is over. or some service plans require using the warranty while it is in force, so your 2 year plan on the HDTV may actually be a one year plan in reality.


when buying an hdtv is the manufacturers warranty enough?
Q. when buying an hdtv is the manufacturers warranty enough? I would rather not spend the extra $100 if it is not needed.

A. Think of the $100 like peace of mind. You don't want to pay for it but if you need it you are glad you have it. However you can also do this. If you have a charge card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty (up to one year) buy the hdtv with that charge card. There is no additional cost for that. warranty.

As for me I have three HDTV's and have not had problems with any them. I did have problems with another piece of electronics but since I had bought with the charge card that extended the warranty I had no problems replacing the unit.


What does Sears extended warranty cover on Plasma TVs?
Q. I bought the 3 year extended warranty from Sears when I bought my plasma tv from them. What is covered under this warranty? I'm not sure I still have my policy laying around. Does this cover only internal malfunctions, or could it cover damage caused by my child?

A. I do not know where this "Mechanical Only" assertion comes from because most problems with a HDTV are electrical in nature, NOT mechanical!

A Sear's Master Protection Agreement (MPA) covers any failure due to normal wear & tear (including normal wear & tear created by people!), cosmetic defects for three years, damage from an electrical surge, coverage for a lemon (replacement with 4 repairs in a 12 month period), replacement for lack of parts or technical information availability, and yearly preventative maintenance. What is NOT covered is abuse such as damage from your child, though it does offer 10% off those repairs not covered by the agreement.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment