Sunday, May 19, 2013

Should I spend 10% of the cost of a HDTV on the extended warranty?

Q. I’m trying to calculate the total cost of ownership on a $3K HDTV. Are extended warranties a scam, or a must have? I’m also thinking of purchasing from Costco. Do they provide extended warranties?

A. Remember that the cost of an extended warranty is calculated by an actuary so that the company providing the warranty ultimately profits. In effect, Costco expects you to have less than $300 of problems with your TV over the term of the warranty.

From a purely numerical perspective, it is then not worth the money, but then again no extended warranty is based on this definition. In one or two years it is exceedingly unlikely that anything will go wrong with your tv, but if it does, it could be much more to fix than $300.

Then again your $3000 tv may only be worth $800 in 3 years (if not less), so why bother?


Can I use a computer monitor for 720p HDTV?
Q. I have a 1280x1024 computer monitor with a VGA and DVI hookup. Does DVI mean that I can hook up an HDTV over-the-air tuner to it? Obviously, I can't view 1080i, but can I watch 720p signals? I've read about HDCP and how it disables analog outputs if a flag is set, so I'm real confused.

A. A computer store that sells both TVs and computers should be able to answer this for you, maybe even for the exact monitor model you want to know about. I would trust their answers more than TV stores that sell computers or office supply stores that sell both.

Why guess or leave it up to strangers. (Hmmm ... I guess the store guys would be strangers too ... but at least you know on what authority they are giving you their opinion)

Two computer stores that I know do this are

MicroCenter and CompUSA.

Check their web sites for phone numbers in your area.

Even if they aren't near you, they probably have 800 numbers that will answer your question.

Of course you could always just try it ... what's the worst that could happen? ... Better call!


How do I connect my computer with my LCD HDTV using D-Sub cable?
Q. I have Compaq Presario V6000 and Samsung LN-S4695 LCD HDTV. I connected my PC to TV using D-Sub cable, and then I tried to view my PC through TV. Problem is my TV doesn't accept the connection (for some reason), and my TV displays "Not Supported Mode". I tried in various options by using FN key and F4 on keyboard. Please help me with this!

A. plug your computer into your normal monitor. change the resolution to 800 x 600. then make sure your refresh rate is 60 hertz. unplug the dsub connector from the back of your monitor. plug it into your lcd panel;s dsub connector. then adjust the resolution to the maximum allowed by your television. it should be 1920 x 1080. main thing is to make sure your refresh rate on your computer does not exceed the refresh rate on the monitor.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment