Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Why did my TV signal get weak and the networks change channels?

Q. I recently got a new big screen TV. Shortly after I got it home, we had a bad storm and the power went out. The next morning, when we turned it on, it could only find a few of the channels we had before. Some of them can be found by typing in the channel numbers, but most of the channels are different now, the local channels are static and the provider says it's something in the house, not in the line or service.

A. Most likely, you made the number one mistake of TV and video equipment owners: failure to use a surge protector. People will spend thousands on an HDTV, then fail to spend another $40 to protect it from the necessity of a very expensive repair bill. Voltage surges on the power line are a *very* common cause for electronic equipment failures, especially HDTVs.

Your TV most likely has been damaged by a voltage surge on the power line, common during storms or other power outages. It might be repairable under warranty if failure to use a surge protector doesn't void the warranty.

You may have to take it to a service shop. While it's in the shop, visit the electrical department of a large hardware store and buy yourself two surge protectors. Don’t get the cheapest you can find. Those selling in the U.S. for around $10 to $15 are little more than power strips. You should expect to pay in the range of $30 to $50 or more for a unit that will confidently protect a few thousand dollars worth equipment.

Check the specs on any surge protector you’re considering. Look for the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) label, a transient or clamping voltage of 330 volts (U.S. systems), and a joule rating in the thousands (2000 to 4000 or more).

Be sure to plug all of your electronics into the surge protector: TV, DVD player, cable or satellite box, home theater receiver, surround sound amplifier. etc. The second one is for your computer and its peripherals (printer, scanner, Internet modem, router, etc.). If it’s electronic, it’s at risk for surge damage.

Surge protectors come with a monitoring circuit that continually tests its quality. When it’s providing full protection, an LED or other light is illuminated and remains steady. If the light goes out or begins to blink, the surge protector should be replaced. (It can still be used as a power strip but not a surge protector.)


Please Help, Do I have to turn off my surge protector ar night?
Q. I have my LCD HDTV, Home theatre, PS3 and my DVR connected to the Philips 6 outlets surge protector 1440 joules. Do I have to turn off the switch of the surge protector every night or just leave it on? Will I conserve energy if I turn off my surge protector?

A. Surge protectors don't use power

Except to make the LED light up


Can anyone give me an approx. equivalent of 6 joules of force?
Q. By this i mean cane anyone cite a practical action that would require approx. 6 joules of force.

I ask this because it states in the specifications for a new HDTV i'm getting that the screen can take up to 6 joules of force without breaking.

A. Forces are measured in newtons.

The joule is used to measure energy.

So the statement makes no sense (to me).

I would imagine that most screens have to meet a specific safety standard so I would not worry too much.

Sorry I cannot be of more help but that's the best I can do with the info supplied.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment