Saturday, May 25, 2013

What form of blu ray player should i get?

Q. I just bought a 55" HDTV 1080p 120HZ LED tv and now want blu ray. I have it next to my desktop tower. If I get an internal blu ray drive player in my desktop tower and my monitor comes with a HDMI port which i can connect to the tv will the quality of picture be different? Or would a regular blu ray player be better?

A. You can go either way (assuming your computer is capable of handling blu-ray ... check the requirements ... the graphic card must be fast enough, for example). However if you go with the built in computer drive note you can't expect to "connect (the monitor) to the TV". Why? The TV and the monitor are display devices. The blu-ray player is a source device. You can only connect a display to a source.

A stand alone player will offer other capability beside just playing Blu-ray disks (e.g. Picassa, Netflix or other services, USB playback of Jpeg and video, decoding of HD audio from the Blu-ray disk. On the other hand, a computer drive allows you to (potentially ... you have to buy capable software as well as the drive) rip Blu-ray disks to the computer for conversion or use as in media centre mode. Which fits your needs better depends on your needs.

I think you will find by the time you pay for the drive and software (and maybe to get a faster graphics card or upgrade the computer RAM) a stand alone player may look pretty good. Note that even basic players handle Blu-ray essentially identically to premium players (the extra $$ primarily buys better build quality, extra features and better DVD performance).


How can I tell if my TV is truly 120Hz?
Q. I've got a Samsung 46' LCD HDTV 1080p, 120hz.
Somehow I'm having doubts that it is rather 60hz.
Is there a way to find out? <------
(No I will not use Blue-rays (Avatar) or anything of this sort to test this out)
I'm thought the manual might have some information but I can't seem to find anything related to Hz or whatever.

A. Go on the Samsung Web site and look at the specs for your TV model. They are also usually printed at the end of the user manual.

If your TV has an option to control "Auto Motion" that is usually a sign that you have 120 Hz


What is the difference in these two Samsung TVs?
Q. I'm looking to buy a new tv and I want a Samsung LED. I dont need a smart tv or 3D or anything, just a regular HDTV 1080p 120hz. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these. What is the difference on these two tvs? The only thing that I can find is the thickness. The model numbers are UN46ES6003 and UN46EH6000. Thanks
On Walmarts website there is about a $100 difference between the two even though they appear to be the same tv other than the width. Which one is better?

A. I'm doing a similar research. I think the ES series is ultra-slim. So, it will look nicer if wall mounted.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment