Friday, May 17, 2013

How do you hook up a VHS and DVD player without sacrificing quality?

Q. My parents got a nice big 46" HDTV and they wanted me to hook up the DVD player. I get there and realize its a DVD VHS Combo so I hooked it up with the Red, White, and Yellow RCA cables and then my parents got mad because the picture was fuzzy. I re hooked it up with Component cables and the picture was much better but now You cant use the VCR part. Is there anyway to hook them both up without reducing the quality? I haven't messed with a VHS DVD combo in so long, I'm just stumped on what to do. My TV I just hook up the player to the TV with HDMI and done but this player doesn't have HDMI.

A. I'm afraid you are out of luck.

A DVD has max resolution of 480 and component cables are your best way to hook things up.

But a VHS is 240 lines of resolution. And that only tends to use Composite (single yellow cable) which is the worst type of video connection.

Please tell your parents: DVD contains 70 year old video. Every line is backwards compatible to a 1948 television. DVD is a high-tech way to save and play old video.

Even DVD's do not look good on a modern High Res display.

It's not the TV's fault.


What do you think about how half of our tv channels have moved to HDTV?
Q. Cartoon Network is gone, Style channel is gone.. what's next ABC FAMILY!? I have a tv with all the 900 channels, and another with about 70 now, because paying for two is too expensive. What do you think about this?

A. Cable companies are rapidly moving what cable-only channels they've had that you can get without a set top box (STB), like those you've cited, from basic cable (no box) to their digital encrypted packages. You'll need some type of STB to receive them.

There is a special provision for customers who subscribed to a form of enhance basic (analog, no STB, but with some added cable-only channels). The missing channels can be received at little or no cost by getting an adapter from the cable company. Comcast, for example, offers two for free to Enhanced Basic subscribers. Other companies may do something similar.

The link below describes Comcast's free STB program. Click "Digital Transport Adapter" in the upper right corner. Also the FAQ links.


How do I remove marker off an HDTV?
Q. My son got a little dash of permanent marker on my new HDTV, how can I remove it, it seems your pointer finger and saliva doesn't do the trick.

A. If that's an LCD screen, you can permanently damage it with most ordinary cleaning techniques, including those in the other answer.

You might get away with using a microfiber cloth with household alcohol, but that's not recommended since household alcohol is only 70% pure--maybe the other 30% won't hurt your screen, but you can't be sure.

A far better choice is 98% (or better) reagent grade isopropyl alcohol, which you buy at a pharmacy. That with the microfiber cloth is the best way to solve your problem.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment