Monday, May 13, 2013

how to connect my vhs player to hi def tv?

Q. I think it's on the right channel but it's just a blue screen but then it's not the right channel???
Help.

A. To watch regular Over The Air digital TV, you just need an antenna. Most likely your new TV will have a tuner capable of tuning digital antenna signals on it's own. Don't need the black box.
A roof antenna is best for reception, though. Just plug the antenna into the back of the TV, go to the Channel Menu, check "air/antenna" and let the set do an automatic channel search.

Also some How To Videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=connecting+a+VCR+to+HDTV&aq=f


What is the best indoor antenna to receive HDTV signals?
Q.

A. You might want to make your own antenna: Check out this clip on youtube.com
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw just be sure to ground this antenna.
I've started but I yet to finished.

or
If you do not wish to make your own antenna, then do the following:

First, go to antennaweb.org to find the best one based on how far you are from the towers that sent out the digital digital.
http://www.antennasdirect.com/hdtv_antenna_selector.html

I hope this helps.
Good luck.


Why do I need a Comcast plan to watch local channels?
Q. For a few months, I was able to watch local channels for free, as it should be. However, now I get a message on my TV screen that reads "If you can see this message, the TV you're watching isn't' ready for Comcast's recent digital network enhancements for XFINITY TV."

I've called, spoken to several Comcast employees (and recorded the conversations, which I will put up on YouTube since they were not helpful at all), who all told me I needed to purchase a plan in order to watch my local channels.

I'm pretty sure this is not how it works. Local channels are SUPPOSED to be free. According to a few comments I've found, the digital transport adapter (DTA) is SUPPOSED to be free & allow me to watch my local channels. When I bring this up to the Comcast employees, they tell me the DTA is free but that I need a package/plan in order for it to work.

Isn't this illegal? As far as I know, local stations are supposed to be free, because they provide important news.

Here's what someone else posted:
Congratulations. You're the latest victim to fall for Comcast's scam.

Here's what's happened.

In 2009, the broadcast standard switched from "analog" to "digital". This meant you needed a TV with a QAM/ATSC tuner, or you could buy an external tuner. All HDTVs came with this tuner built-in.

Cable companies were not affected, but quickly introduced "digital cable". This meant you could still watch local channels - even local channels in HD - without a cable box, but if you wanted channels like ESPN, or wanted features like OnDemand, you needed a cable box.

Now skip forward to 2012. Despite having a HDTV with a digital tuner, and the fact you aren't subscribed to digital cable, Comcast has decided to make broadcast ALL of their channels in "Comcast Digital". This means, the tuner in your TV no longer works with Comcast. This also means the world "digital" is utterly worthless when talking about TV.

Isn't that just Comcastic?!? Oh but it gets better!

You can get what Comcast calls a digital tuner adapter (DTA) - in other words a cable box. The DTA is free BUT does not give you access to the HD channels. Not even the local HD channels! (e.g. your local NBC HD) If you want those, you have to get a HD-DTA which is NOT free but costs $2.50/month.

So yes, you just got your cable bill jacked up 10%.

They pulled the same BS on my in-laws who called me to install the DTA for them. Unfortunately the DTA they have doesn't work right, meaning I have to now take off work to return the busted DTA to the nearest Comcast office and exchange it. In the meantime, my inlaws don't get half the channels they're paying for.

Instead, we're shopping for a good multi-directional antenna with an amplifier. Like you, they only care about the local channels, and paying $30/mo for busted service isn't my idea of treating your senior citizens right.
Source(s):
Feeling pissed off? Write a letter of complaint to your senator and congress representatives complaining that cable companies have become abusive monopolies. Also complain to your city's local utility committee. They're the ones that grant Comcast permission to be the cable provider for the city and they also have to approve the rates. If the city gets too many complaints they can kick Comcast out - not that any other cable company is any better really.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120918164910AAXdfZn
**UPDATE** After doing a bit of research, it turns out that all I had to do to get my local channels was to scan for them. Now I have channels like 7.154 rather than simply "7", but they're free, so I can't complain. I don't know what some of you are talking about, I never had Comcast to begin with & my local channels worked just fine. For some reason, Comcast thinks they're able to stop my digital channels which are working just fine & charge me to convert to their crappy analog channels with their DTA device. & why would I buy an antenna for my large HDTV? Again, I simply scanned the channels, now I have more than I originally had due to the decimal channel system.

A. Yeah, I'm the one who posted that.

And you're still confused.

The only legitimate way to get local channels for free is by using an antenna. If you were getting local channels through Comcast and were not paying for them, then that was due to an error on Comcast's part. Cable - regardless of the channel package you get - is not free. Not even the local channels.

Comcast charges $15-25/mo for what they call "Limited Local" which is just the local channels. Even this package still requires a cable box. You can get the DTA one for free but it won't give you the local HD channels. You'll have to go with a HD cable box to get those, but that costs money.

Honestly, if you live in an area where you can get good reception, drop cable entirely and just go with the antenna. All modern HDTVs already have the new digital TV tuner (not to be confused by "Digital Cable") so there's nothing else to buy. Ever.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment